Monday, December 31, 2012

Christmas 2012

It amazes me that every year Dee has the most amazing Christmas for her.  I read somewhere that kids bond through different things.  Dee bonds primarily through wants.  When her wants are met, she feels love.  I can tell her how much that is not true, but it's true to her.

Her Christmas looked small underneath the tree, but it was actually big.


The tree after Santa left



Dee enjoys the whole gift opening process.  She takes her time and enjoys each gift.  I made her a book of the dogs she fostered, and she read the entire thing before opening the next gift.  We call it "The Dee Show."

Dee was appropriately grateful.  She got a small tablet.  She was not expecting an electronic, so she was thrilled.  I hid it in a big box wrapped in a towel.  She never suspected.  I did not block Goggle +, and she figured it out.  She was all over social media.  I had to take the tablet back, block the app, and stress to her the danger in social media for the billionth time.  After a few days, I had her write out what she did wrong and how she can make sure the mistake doesn't happen again.  All is well.



When she was caught, she sent herself an e-mail saying she would rather live with an abusing mother than two dogs and a "mean, ugly, fat, self-centered mom."  She was mad at herself.  I asked her why I was being mistreated when I didn't do anything wrong.

After a day of quiet in our house, I went to the store, and brought her favorite drink (bottle water and flavored water) and cookies.  I told her it was nice of me to bring her favorites even though she was being mean to me.  She said, "Even if we are mad at each other, you still have to take care of me."  And I was pleased that she knew that was true and that I would.

Overall, she is doing well.  Had a friend spend the night on a work day, and did OK. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment