Sunday, June 12, 2011

I can't tell if it's real or not but I know it's your fault!

Dee did not go to sleep last night when she should. She had the flashlight on and was reading a book. When I checked at 11:30 p.m. she was still awake. I decided not to fight with her and just see what she was like when she woke up.

This morning, she did not get up well. Just in time to really walk out of the door without her hair combed. That is the reason we managed to forget to give her her medicine on Sunday. I remembered during Sunday School when she was not behaving at all.

After SS, I asked her if she wanted to go to a movie. I drove her home, and said go “take your medicine and put on some pants.” She was in the bathroom a long time, and announced she was constipated. I was a bit suspicious since she had grabbed my laptop and apparently changed the channel on the TV (which was on for the dog) before going to the bathroom. This all happened when she went to get her meds, but she never took them.

After spending about an hour and a half in the bathroom WITH THE COMPUTER, she came out. I told her to take the medicine, and we no longer had time to go to the movies. She grabbed the pills, and after a while I went to check on her she was playing in make-up, and HAD NOT TAKEN HER MEDICATION. It was nearly 2:30.

I made her take the medicine. I asked her to put on pants and a shirt. (She was being "cute" and had on a camisole and skirt with her make-up.) She started screaming, yelling and jumping up and down. I told her to just put on the pants in her room that are probably somewhere on the floor. She said, no...she yelled, “I DON’T HAVE ANY. “ I told her she had to because she had not taken anything down to the laundry room. She yelled disrespectfully, “I HAVE. TAKEN IT, YOU JUST DON’T KNOW HOW TO LOOK.”

She started throwing things and banging things. I told her let’s go. She started yelling about the police station. I didn’t even tell her I was talking about the grocery store. In the end she de-escalated fast. As she kept slamming things, I took her dollar bill she left in the living room and shredded it with my hands before her very eyes. (Later I told her that is the same respect she has for my things.)  After continuing to slam doors and scream, I took her to the police station. Office Collins was not pleased. He has promised her and me that the next time starts reports. I totally agree with that. He explained to her that kids who cause trouble will go to a home where they are not even allowed to wear clothing.  Just paper clothes with plastic shoes.

I brought Dee back home to get her shoes because in her rage, she could not grab shoes. I reminded her that I was not going to tolerate this anymore. I gave her two minutes to put on pants, and shoes.  I made her stay at my side in the store.  She tried to make it irritate me, but it didn't.  At dinner, she refused to eat. It could have been the Adderall.  I decided only meals and no sweets whatsoever.  I made her sit at the table, facing the table, no book, no paper just me eating.

I did try to talk to Des and she said that she started this because I was mean. I kept asking her what is mean about taking someone to the movies. She screamed, not the movies, but she had nothing.  Dee preplanned the anger by taking the computer into the bathroom. I let that slide. (She didn't realize I let it slide.  She assumed I became angry.  She yelled at some point she had it, and I said, "OK" and kept reading the Sunday paper.)  I even let it slide when  I realized she had changed the channel and didn’t come out of the bathroom. I didn’t get angry until I found her in the make-up and the pills still had not been taken.

I do have a concern that Dee may have some newly developing mental issue. She is beginning to not be able to distinguish what really happened or what was real from a thought.

An example, last week after therapy, I talked to her about her telling the therapist that I am mean and that's why she is misbehaving.  It's really her anticipation of my discipline that makes her misbehave more.  She knows she will have a consequence, but even if she doesn't get it, she thinks she did.

 I could tell she didn’t know what was right. Then my fish was sick and I asked her if Peaches died and I were upset if she would flush her for me. She said that she had flushed a fish before and she would not do it again. I reminded her of the three fish we had flushed, she had flushed none. Then she said, “At least I fed them worms.” I told her she didn’t feed them worms. She asked if she could feed them a worm, but instead she ran when I brought the worms out.

At the end of the day, I called her in and talked to her. I told her I was concerned about her not being able to distinguish reality from fiction. I told her it was very dangerous. She said she couldn’t help it, then I told her to stop day dreaming, it doesn’t work for her.

We talked about the things she misses out on that I tell her I was considering (this time, the movie, a phone, a laptop, Chiefs cheerleading camp, and opportunity to babysit again). She also misses out on being trusted.  And she ends up with more consequences than she even feared at the beginning.

She went to bed happy and understanding. But that may only last for day.

No comments:

Post a Comment