Today, Dee went to the last day of 4th grade. It is the first time we did an entire year of school together. What a year! She had an absolutely spectacular teacher. Her special ed teacher is also awesome. She will have her again next year. But as I looked back, Dee and I made it through because of her teachers and her day care leaders. They work great with her. We gave each of them a thank you token.
Yesterday, when I picked her up from daycare, they were having a year end celebration. Dee was not participating because she had bitten and licked a child. She said they were all doing it and only she was punished. She was made to apologize to the leader and the child. And then I let it go.
So today, we woke up all excited with the last day of school. I took the day off to pick her up at lunch time when school ended. But as I cleaned the back of the car to pick up another child, I found a cigarette butt. That reminded me of something I thought I saw in the house underneath the chair, but was too lazy to check. Yup...two more cigarette butts. I was furious!
I went to get the other child, took the doggie girls to the groomer, and then we picked up Dee. We went to the movies. I mentioned there to her I had found some things and where, and I was disappointed. She, a fast-thinking liar, said she was doing a science project. I reiterated I was disappointed.
We then went home for some free time, to the pool and out to eat. When we finally came home, I mentioned it to her again. She said, "I told you why I had it." I told her she had, but I didn't believe her. Our day of fun when downhill fast. She began to become Miss Oppositional. And I told her not only was she losing trust, she was also losing the right to anything fun.
Her therapist said if she ever is going to be able to handle good, I have to keep giving it to her in small doses. I do hate doing nice things for her because we always have to pay for it.
The little girl we picked up is my boss' child. Dee was in love with their nicer home, big yard with a swing set and swimming pool. Finished basement with all the fun amenities and grand piano. As we left, she said to the parents, "I have one question: Can I live here?" RAD lives on!
This mom of a 5th grade girl is tired and is going to bed!
Thursday, June 2, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment