I finally came up with Plan #2333. I wrote on the white board:
Anything that plugs in or uses batteries
Computer <> TV <> Music <> DS <> DVD Player
I told her the moment she is disrespectful, including saying "NO!", she loses all of those things for the next day and the rest of that day. She starts off after two days later earning them back one at a time. Slow to earn and one single sarcastic or disrespectful thing takes them all away. Zero tolerance.
She has TV back now, and stops to think about what she is going to say. She can pick another electronic today. She will lose them again. But I hope that a few times of this will show her it's not tolerated.
As always, she was angry and upset, but she likes the boundaries. It's been a lot more pleasant.
I took the chance with the pleasant house to talk to her about oral sex. I had three friends last spring find that their 13-year olds were having oral sex. What I learned was that they didn't think it was sex. And parents didn't specifically tell them. So I told her. She may make the same bad choices of other girls, but it won't be because she learned first on the street.
She learned her four times tables, but when we started the sixes...she started getting mixed up.
I listened to neighbor tell me how much I smother her and how she will just go wild. I let her talk, and then just said, "Good thing she is my daughter." She judges everything by her well-regulated two-year younger child. I don't feel the need to justify my parenting actions to anyone...that's what I love about being a single parent!
No comments:
Post a Comment