Monday, August 22, 2011

But I want to call you mom...

At church on Sunday, I didn't take communion because I knew my heart was too angry to fellowship so closely with my Lord.  Dee did take communion.

After church, I took a nap because I wasn't feeling well, and she entertained herself by playing with her friends through the window, planning bake sales.

At some point, I tried to talk to her about her recent behavior.  She wasn't ready, and it escalated.  She became defi\ant and grabbed her luggage and packed.  I was ready for her to go.  She even got snotty about something and I told her if she did it again, I'd hurt her.  Yes, I meant it.  She said, "You can't, nah so there."  I told her to test me...do it again.  It's apparent she believed me more than she believed herself.  (Good judgment!)

Eventually the police came.  The officer likes Dee and wanted to assure her all was well, but at the same time, he was a little firmer than he has been in the past.  When he left her room, he was concerned that she was concerned about not calling me mom.  I talked of her disobedience and disrespect.  He assured me he had a 10-year old child, and she was both disobedient and disrespectful.  That's how they are.  I told him that I was sorry it was OK in his house, because in my house, it is not OK.  Disrespect is never tolerated, and that is double with mom.

Before they left, he made her take all her things back to her room.  I made her continue with her assignments:  bath, etc.  And later we talked.  She said calling me mom really calms her and makes her feel at home.  I told her it was not all about her.  In our family, Mom is respected.  And if she couldn't do that, she did not earn the right to call me mom.  (I feel calling me mom came too easily for her.)  I also talked to her about her idea that I should be thankful that I got to adopt her and be grateful for her issues.  And I told her I was grateful for adopting her, but I expected the issues to be worked on.  I told her I was not sad and hoping for a kid before she came.  I was a very happy person.  She could check the story with everyone she knows.  I didn't NEED a kid, I wanted a kid.  Never confuse it.

We agreed with 24-hours of total respect, she would be able to call me mom again.  She is on!  She has not said anything disrespecflu or snotty all day.  I wish I would have said 48 hours.  I'm hoping for a slip-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment