Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Ready, Set, School Year!

Dee has been doing better since she earned the right to call me mom.  I heard a bit of disrespect in answer today, but she changed it pretty quickly.  I'm trying to show her if she can be respectful for 24 hours, then she can do it for 48, or 72 or 96.  One of her problems is she defines herself by past bad decisions and actions.  And she learns to like that definition.

She started classes this week.  After the porn incidents, I ran through things I had learned in my MAPP class in preparing for adoption, and decided that busyness would be the way to go.  Monday, she had tumbling at 8:00 p.m.   She enjoyed it.  Tuesday, she had Hip Hop, Tap and Ballet class.  She loved them all!  I'm pleased.  She is taking the dance classes and the tumbling class for $96 a month.  It may actually be worth it.

I let her ride the school bus for the first time today.  I'm home recuperating, so she was able to get on the bus.  I will pick her up.  Because we have our other activity today...therapy! :)

Last night I went to the Parent Orientation.  A mom hijacked the presentation.  She talked non-stop about her daughter being in the gifted program, needing to read difficult books, wanting to start her science fair with plenty of notice.  The teacher could not get control back.  That makes me worry how she is going teach my little ADHD child.

All homework this year is optional.  It sounds good, but it just means my child will not catch up very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment