Saturday, August 27, 2011

Week 2 Ends with Stealing

Dee's special ed teacher sent an e-mail on Friday saying that Dee had a nasty attitude and was refusing to do her work, and the work she did was super sloppy.  She said she would be sending it home for her to do at home.  I read "nasty attitude."  She hit the nail on the head.  There's no other way to describe it.  But I must be getting smarter, because I also knew that was a sign of guilt.  I told her Dee was feeling guilty.  I'd be checking for things she may have taken.

The teacher must have just asked Dee, "Do you have anything that doesn't belong to you?"  Dee told her she had some lip gloss and perfume she had taken from me.  Yup...she had stolen two items from a birthday present I received.  The teacher was then suspicious so she went with Dee to her regular class to put them in her bag.  She asked her where her see-through lunch bag was and she said at home.  She asked where she had gotten the one she had, and she said the lost and found.  Then they found she had stolen a kid who was at the gifted program's snack.  It was a long day!

I asked the teacher to turn the incident in to the office.  She was hesitant, but I want to teach Dee that the consequences of her action are real.

When I picked Dee up, she wasn't sure what was going to happen.  I never left the school parking lot.  I told her I knew she could grow up and be a therapist or teacher or a mommy.  I asked her what she wanted to be.  Then I told her it didn't seem like that what's she wanted to be, it seems like she wants to be a thief.  She said sometimes she can't help herself.  I told her I didn't buy it.  I reminded her that I tried to help her by sewing her pockets closed, and she took scissors and opened a space to steal. 

I told her I had run out of options of trying to help her.  I suggest she remembers all the things she learned in therapy and home and come up with a plan.

She almost made two weeks of school....almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment