I find value in helping others. If I want to feel good about myself, then I bake cookies for someone, visit someone who ill, just do something for someone else. It's not a great resaon to help others, but I sort of just do it because it makes me feel good. We tend to do what makes us feel good.
Things -- actual things -- make Dee feel good. She feels good when she is getting gifts. In the absence of that...she just takes the things. I know she can't feel good about the stealing, but the actual thing...it brings her comfort.
Dee's feel good activity is making me feel very not so good! I marched her into the fourth store to pay for something she stole yesterday. It's always the same.
Me - Excuse me, may I speak to a store manager.
Manager - May I help you?
Me - I'm Gale and this my daughter, Dee. I have discovered we have an item from your store that was not paid for. I think Dee needs to tell you the rest.
[The manager usually will then look at Dee.]
(In her sweetest little girl voice)...
Dee - I took something from your store and I didn't pay for it. I'm very sorry.
Me - How are you going to make it this right?
Dee - I wll pay for it. I will stick by my mom, and I won't do it again.
Manager - I'm sure you are sorry. And you won'at do it again right? Ok.
Me - Just a minute. What's your protocol for shoplifters? What happens if she does it again? Do you have security? Where are they?
Everyone always thinks I'm mean. They always think Dee is sweet and forced into it because of her mean mom. Sometimes I mention it is not her first offense, sometimes I don't.
Her stealing is a habit. It drives me bananas!!!! And the thing she wants so much, she can't use, play or wear because she has to keep it hidden the entire time.
I can remember finding items from the following:
Cell phones: Patricia, School, Barry and me twice
Stores: Build-a-Bear, Petco, CJ Banks, and Power Play
Friday, August 5, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment