Note: Middle School schedule is killing me! This post has been sitting half-written for a week!
Dee has been excited and nervous about Middle School. I could tell because when she should have been concentrating on other things, she'd ask a random question about school.
Two days before school started, they had "Back to School" night. We had to meet the teachers, check out lockers again, etc. I invited Dee's two friends and their moms to go out with the girls. It was very fun, and they had a chance to be nervous together.
Dee was super proud of her locker. And she and her freinds were hopeful and nervous for the whole experience. Lockers were no big deal when I was in school, but it was all about the lockers that day. I'm ashamed to say I spent about $40 on locker stuff..feeding into the frenzy.
At Dee's school, it's only 6th grade. They split the 800 kids into 8 or 10 teams. Dee has been a different person. She rides the bus, for the first time. She has done amazingly well!
On the third day of school, her home-base teacher called. (I thought and even said, "It's only Day 3!") But every teacher on her team was in on the call, and it was to declare that Dee had done well enough to be called a "Rock Star." She and three other kids earned special privileges. How exciting and confidence building for her. The best part of Rock Star is that the behavior spilled over to home. We had a super pleasant last week, and a pretty good this week.
Now that she is a middle schooler, one of her favorite things to do is to walk around with a Twilight book trying to look studious, or to open her math book to page 300 and copy the sample -- intently. So far, I must say, Middle School rocks!
Thursday, August 23, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment