Monday, May 30, 2011

The Long Weekend

We've had a long stay-at-home weekend with not that many activities.  One thing I love is that now we are both at home with each other.  We can do our own thing, and be comfortable.  I can trust her outside to play with other kids.  She can watch TV in the living room and I can watch in my room.  I don't have to entertain her every minute like I did the first year.

On Friday, Dee had a great birthday!  She loved, loved, loved all of the attention.  Her gifts were Dee-appropriate.  She felt so happy and loved!  We all enjoyed watching her!


She made it through her birthday.  It's one of those unsuspecting triggers for her.  She wondered if her birth mom remembered her birthday.  Of course, I told her.  No one in the world pushed you out, but her.  And a pleasant surprise was her birth aunt sent her a "happy birthday" through a special dummy Facebook account I made.  Dee said, "At least someone remembered."  I think it comforted her, but she didn't really care.

I'm so glad I made contact with someone in her birth family.  It has stopped Dee from pitting me against her "made-up" family.  She has had to be more honest.  And they don't seem so distant for her.  We did agree I would not tell her anything birth family though.  I did tell her about the birthday greeting, and asked her if that was the right thing to do, and she said it was.

She actually had a good long weekend. I don't think she had any serious consequence through the weekend.


Dee said tonight that God is pleased with her because she is a very loving girl when she is not angry.  I agreed.  Then I asked her what God thought when she was angry.  She said disappointed.  I reminded her we all disappoint God, but we should never do it on purpose.

A neighbor stopped me to tell me that her church, which is a different religion (not just denomination) than mine has activities for girls, and she thinks Dee would benefit.  I listened, but then had to tell her that Dee's spiritual health was more important to me than her social health.  I reminded her that we had different beliefs.  She understood.  She told me she was adopted at age six.  I've known her for several years, and this was the first time she mentioned it.  Her invitation was sincere.  She said she remembered how hard it was.

Dee brought home standardized test scores in Social Studies and Science.  She was in the 51st percentile for Social Studies (Amazing!) and 24th percentile in Science (Wonderful!).  She was in the 9th - 12th percentile in everything last year.  In math, she went from 478 to 710!  My little girl is learning...despite her learning disabilities.

This is one of the weeks when I feel I can dream for her.  I can see her as a successful adult!  It's pretty cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment