Have you heard of the straw? No...not a drinking straw, THE straw! You know, the one that broke the camel's back? Well, I know how that straw feels. It's not something huge that breaks it. It's just one more thing when you can't take anymore.
Last week, I picked Dee up at school. I asked, "How was school? How did your work on your science fair go?" She said with that nasty attitude I don't like: "What? Fine." And I blew! I just about had all the nasty attitude I could take. With me disregulated, it meant things went downhill fast!
I was not taking any attitude and she was only giving it. The next day on the way to school, I threatened to kick her out of the car. When we got to school, she slowly got out of the car, and I walked to the building and back to the car, and she was still just getting out. So I jumped in the car, and told her stay in. We're going home.
I asked her if she wanted to spend the day with me or go to juvie! She didn't answer. (They were both horrible choices and she knew it.) So, I drove past the house straight to the police station. (One of us was going to end up in jail, and I decided it was better if it was not me.) She begged and pleaded. I made her write a contract, and then I took her back to school. The understanding is if she pulls any of her current attitude or stunts I will say, "In the car" and if she doesn't go, I'll call the police.
I talked with friends who said this is how girls talk when they hit puberty. You have to let it roll off your back. I decided it may be the way girls want to talk when they hit puberty, but it's not going to be the way my girls talks. She is not even 10 yet, and we have these issues. What will I do with a 16 year old if I let her get away with this stuff?
Things have been better since that day. If she puts any edge to her voice, I say "Tone" and she remembers the contract and straightens up.
I do wish I could get her to straighten up without fear of police, but. it's them now or later. So, if I get their help now, then later she may not be a customer of theirs.
Tuesday, May 17, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Funny you mentioned "juvie". Last night Leslie was melting down because I wanted her to do something at a different time than usual. She said she couldn't change her routine even if I took her to juvie. I have never said the word juvie. NOt just to her, but ever! LOL No idea where she came up with that. She calmed down and we came up with a compromise and had a nice night.
ReplyDelete