Dee and I were not getting along when we went on the 4th grade trip. She was in the throes of non-compliance and definance. But she was the least of my problems on the trip.
It was a 6-hour roundtrip ride with three other moms. I must say, I had very little in common with these ladies. They were all younger than I am. They all seemed very materialistic. I believe they were showing off for me, and trying to up one another. I just rolled my eyes on the way there. On the way back, I thought about my aching feet. But it did make me understand what Dee must go through at school. Their children are her classmates. I'm busy teaching her "People are more important than things." And she is competing against some serious materialistic ideas.
We visited the state capital. It was fun to tour the capitol, the supreme court building and a nature center. The children did great. I could see how Dee lagged behind her peers both academically and socially.
Tuesday, May 17, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Yea, in our home I explain to the girls that normally those people with "things" are actually poor, stressed out, and they OWE a lot of people money for the things they have. MK said "Soandso has 4 cars... they are RICH!" I replied with, "Imagine all they money they could have if they only had ONE car!"
ReplyDeleteThey have an understanding of why we don't borrow money for anything but a house/car... and we SAVE more than we spend. When they go to the store with me, they bring their own money. IF they want something that isn't a necessity (clothes/healthy food/toiletries) they have to use their money to buy it.
I think they're getting it.
It's hard because we all know that children in care think adoption means a castle in the sky with all of their wants and needs fulfilled without any effort on their part.
The harsh reality crushes their little dreams! :(
I don't have to worry about school for 3 years and am already stressing about where Tigger should go....one school seems to have kids into more material things even though it is a good school...another is a good school as well...not sure about the types of families that go....
ReplyDeleteEven if I were married, I wouldn't give my kid every material wealth there is, but especially as a single mom, I struggle with the fact that I wish there was just a tad more for some things...however, we are content and I'm going to teach her that.
Love the group picture!