Saturday, February 25, 2012

IEP

Dee has an IEP for her ADHD.  She is doing pretty well being pulled for math and reading.  She seemed to really get the unit on geometry.  So her special ed teacher wrote and told me she was thinking about phasing her out of math.  I told her I disagreed with that plan.  The day before her IEP meeting, she sent a draft home, and it did not include math.  I was concerned.

I stayed up until midnight researching how to disagree with an IEP.  It helped.  I had to type out why I disagreed.  So when we started the meeting, she said "I know you are concerned about math."  I was able to state in a very clear manner why I did not think she was ready for math in a regular class.  I had brought examples of her work.  Her teacher said, "In my class, she gets this."  I said, "She is going to need to get this not just in your class, but her regular class and home too."

We finally agreed that she would stay in regular class for instruction.  She would then come down to special education for help.

She has made progress, but she is still far behind.  Someone suggested her IQ was far off.  The educational expert asked what I thought.  I said, "Her IQ is brought down by processing time.  It does take her a long time to process.  So it may be low, but not quite as low as she tests."  She said, "Let's make a note not to use WISC test next year when she is re-tested."  Apparently WISC gives more credit to processing speed.  Good to know.

All in all it was a good meeting.  I didn't make any enemies.  And I still find we are all on the same team.

That same night, was student-led conferences.  Dee did not do so well in leading, but that's because her friend was with us to spend a few nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment