I told Dee that I didn't want to go to therapy because I knew the therapist would not be pleased about the cell phone. She gave me good advice in saying to keep the boundaries tight, and when they are mastered, then slowly open them. Dee couldn't wait to see me get in trouble.
So when we walked in, she asked if I needed to speak with her first. I told her that we all three needed to meet first. I said, "I have a confession, but Dee is going to speak it." Dee pulled out her cell phone. We talked about how we came to the decision. The therapist could tell Dee was eager for my consequence, so I couldn't have any candy from the candy bowl today.
In the end, I think she was impressed with the total joy she saw in Dee. She thinks iletting her get the cell phone may actually have been a good move. Dee told her last night she asked me to tell her something to dream about, and I said, "Dream about that phone you love and I'm going to regret." We both cracked up! It was one of the most positive sessions we had. The phone is down to six minutes tonight.
Dee did get a "think sheet" today for not obeying at after school club. She wrote me a letter to read BEFORE I read the think sheet. It explained she knew she was wrong but she was having an off day. I let her slide with a warning. I told her I was being gracious because she didn't deserve another chance.
We are trying something we haven't been able to use...positive reinforcement. She is regulated enough to actually hear the positive.
Last night at dinner, she said she loved KFC. I told her we don't have it because she told me she didn't like it. She asked, "Did I tell you that when I was 8?" When I said yes, she asked me if I hadn't realized yet that when she was 8 pretty much everything she said was a lie.
I'm really enjoying her this week.
Thursday, September 29, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment