Saturday, July 14, 2012

A Cry for Help

Dee and I have been talking about things that bother her when we do devotions.  And we were talking the other day about why her self-esteem is so low.  She said, it's not because of her skin color (like she told her therapist), but it's really because she is not as smart as her peers.  (She also mentioned this to her therapist.)  Then she said, "Mom, I need a tutor."  I asked her what did she need a tutor for.  She said, "Reading, math, communications arts, science, social studies.)

I was sad to see that her learning disabilities are beginning to really effect her.  So, that night I posted on Facebook that I needed a tutor.  A former church friend offered to tutor her in reading.  And someone suggested Sylvan.  I made an appointment and Dee took an assessment for math.  The cost is between $356 and $440 a month.  That's a lot!  And I fretted with how I could not offer this to her if she asked for it and really needed it, but how I could afford $400 a month and still eat!  She offered to give up dance for tutoring.

The day after offering to give up dance, I found her crying in her room because she really didn't want to give up dance.  I told her she would take dance -- maybe not all that she wanted, but I would figure it out.

I am able to get a student loan for Sylvan's tutoring.  That will allow me to pay for the cost over a longer period of time, and not pay $400 a month.  I do hate going into debt for it, but if there is anything I'd want to go into debt for...my daughter's education and self-esteem would lead the list.

I'll go back this week to hear the plan they have for teaching her.  She is excited.  They gave her incentive tokens for her effort on the assessment, and they apparently do that for all of the sessions.

I'm crossing my fingers.  I like the one tip they gave me...buy flashcards with the answers so that she will see the whole picture.  She also liked it.

My friend is going to go to her daycare and try to help her with her reading.  That will be an enormous help with my super busy evenings.

God is good.  If I couldn't have met this need for my child, I would have felt like a mom who failed.  It may or may not work, but it's the opportunity that counts!

No comments:

Post a Comment