Saturday, October 15, 2011

Good-bye Zyprexa

When Dee came home, her foster mom sent a box of Zyprexa and some specific instructions.  She also cautioned that Dee would rage and tantrum just to get Zyprexa.  It immediately calms and knocks you out.  I never let her know I had it.  Today, I was cutting each individual one open and flushing it down the toilet because I couldn't come up with any other way to get rid of it.  I called her in to see.  I told her that I never used it because it was dangerous and I knew she'd try to get it.  She agreed with that.  She was stunned that I had it and she didn't know.  She started to tell me the story of when she went to camp and got it, but I told her I had heard her foster mom's version of that story, so she stopped.

She actually overheard her foster mom telling the camp nurse to use it in case of emergency.  Dee managed to get the camp nurse to give her one each night.  When she came home (foster home), she started raging and breaking things just to get it.

I took the time to re-explain that taking meds you don't need is the first step to drug addiction.  I told her she needed to practice now if she wanted to be able to say no to drugs as a teen.

No comments:

Post a Comment