Friday, October 28, 2011

Miss Grace

I had former neighbors Grace & John who were older and became ill.  Grace was in her early to mid-90s and John was in just approaching 90.  They could no longer live in their town home.  They moved to an Assisted Living home.  When I went to tell them good-bye, they said, "We probably won't ever see you again.  It always happens that way."  The dogs and I would visit them daily on our daily walks, and they were afraid that would end because of convenience.  Of course, they had no reason to worry.

At one point they ended up in the same nursing home together.  John became sick and was hospitalized.  Then Grace was sick.  When Dee first came home, they were both in the hospital.  I would visit John, and go to the other end of the hall and visit Grace.  John didn't leave that stay.

We didn't want Grace to feel lonely.  At this point, we were visiting them pretty much everyday.  Dee was was the center of attention at the nursing home.  We loved and hated it!

A few months ago, we stopped going because Grace's family members seem to resent it.  The same night I dreamt of Grace, Dee started begging to see her.  This week, we had a call she had taken a turn for the worse.  So, I went back to say good-bye for us both on Tuesday.  Yesterday (one day later), she passed on.  Thank God!  She wasn't happy without her husband or living in a nursing home.  She could no longer go to McDonalds with us or ride out to the lake she liked to visit.  She hadn't had her hair and nails done for a long time.  It's nice to know she is at peace.  I'm glad I got to give her a kiss and tell her how much we love her.

We sure will miss our Miss Grace!

No comments:

Post a Comment