I wrote that long letter to Dee's teacher, so I wasn't sure what it would mean when we met, since I didn't hear anything from her. She seemed to appreciate the letter. She understands she has not pegged Dee well. I don't think she is enjoying her class this year. But she was very receptive to suggestions and she had some of her own. We agreed on what we expected from Dee as a grade. Based on her level, we decided the 2's would be appropriate. Three is what you get when you have a good grasp of the topic, and 4 is when you can take it one step beyond what was taught.
She told me Dee has been having trouble on the playground getting involved in "girl drama." She said she will put a timer on her desk. She showed me how to look up the curriculum on-line. Although homework is not given in our school district, if a child needs it it is given. I requested it.
Dee's special ed teacher said good things, and more importantly, showed me good improvement. We were pleased. Both teachers talked of how respectful and thoughtful she was.
I was so pleased as I went upstairs to get her. Of course, once there, I was met with two workers and a two think sheets. Dee was out and out defiant and disrepectful -- multiple times! They had forgotten to give her her meds, and she must have just been in the mood. I told her missing meds will never be an excuse for disrespectful behavior. It's just a little amount to help her not to start coming off when it's time to come home. Because she was always crying before she started taking it.
Hmmmm...one step forward one step backwards.
Saturday, October 29, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment